Astronomy is the scientific study of matter in outer space with the goal of determining or measuring factors such as distances, positions, dimensions, distribution, magnitudes, motion, composition, physical condition, energy, evolution, and the causes of their various phenomena. At present astronomy while making some important discoveries is still in its infancy in terms of gaining depth of understanding and some would argue has many errant notions.
Important branches in this discipline include astrophysics and cosmology. Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that deals with the physics of stellar phenomena. Cosmology is the study of the origin, current state, and future of the cosmos. Astrophysical measurements and analysis are used to understand the cosmological history, structure, and constituent dynamics of our universe.
Dark energy is one of two concepts (the other is dark matter) that Big Bang cosmologists and astrophysicists have invented to explain the most serious differences to date between astronomical observations of an expanding universe and their own expectations. It is "the most popular way to explain recent observations that the universe appears to be expanding at an accelerating rate"; Astronomers and cosmologists have been speculating on the nature of this dark energy for ten years.
Explanation: Big, beautiful, barred spiral galaxy NGC 1300 lies some 70 million light-years away on the banks of the constellation Eridanus. NGC 1300 spans over 100,000 light-years and the Hubble image reveals striking details of the galaxy's dominant central bar and majestic spiral arms. In fact, on close inspection the nucleus of this classic barred spiral itself shows a remarkable region of spiral structure about 3,000 light-years across. Unlike other spiral galaxies, including our own Milky Way, NGC 1300 is not presently known to have a massive central black hole.
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration began on October 1, 19581 October 1958 17 Tishrei 5719 H 18 Eitanim 6117 AM, by an act of the United States Congress to establish an American presence in outer space. Today it is the foremost among government agencies that manage space programs, and is credited with some of the most exciting and surprising astronomical discoveries ever made.
“We cannot even show convincingly how galaxies, stars, planets, and life arose in the present universe.” Michael Rowan-Robinson, “Review of the Accidental Universe,” New Scientist, Vol. 97, 20 January 1983, p. 186.
“The problem of explaining the existence of galaxies has proved to be one of the thorniest in cosmology. By all rights, they just shouldn’t be there, yet there they sit. It’s hard to convey the depth of frustration that this simple fact induces among scientists.” James Trefil, The Dark Side of the Universe. A Scientist Explores the Mysteries of the Cosmos, New York Charles Scibner's Sons: 1988, page 55.
“We don’t understand how a single star forms, yet we want to understand how 10 billion stars form.” Carlos Frenk, as quoted by Robert Irion, “Surveys Scour the Cosmic Deep,” Science, Vol. 303, 19 March 2004, p. 1750.
Astronomy • Astronomy group • Astrophysics • Cosmic chronology • Cosmology • Dwarf planet • Galaxy • Moon • Nebula • Planet • Rocket probe • Solar system • Space mission • Cosmology book • Cosmology video
Apoapsis • Axial tilt • Circumference • Dwarf planet mass • Dwarf planet surface area • Equatorial radius • Escape speed • Inclination • Land area • Lunar mass • Lunar surface area • Maximum temperature • Mean orbital radius • Mean radius • Mean temperature • Minimum temperature • Orbital eccentricity • Orbital speed • Periapsis • Planet density • Planet mass • Planet surface area • Polar radius • Primary • Rotation speed • Satellite • Semi-major axis • Sidereal day • Sidereal period • Solar day • Stellar mass • Stellar surface area • Surface gravity • Synodic period • Water area
A, Albedo, Anthropic principle, Apsis, Ariel, Asteroid, Astronomy, Astronomy and the Bible, Astronomy Book, The, Astronomy quotes, Astrophysics, Axial tilt, B, Big bang, Black hole, C, C-type asteroid, Callisto, Ceres, Charon, Comet, Copernican principle, Cosmic background radiation, Cosmic center, Cosmic chronology, Cosmology, Cosmos, Creation in secular journal (cosmology), Creation cosmology, D, Dark energy, Dark matter, Day, Days of creation, Deimos, Dione, Dwarf planet, Dysnomia, E, Earth, Enceladus, Equinox, Equinox precession, Eris, Escape speed, Essay:Victorious Biblical Astronomy, Extraterrestrial life, Europa, Evolution, F, First light, Four firmaments, 4th Day Alliance, G, Galactocentricity, Galaxy, Ganymede, Gas giant, Geocentricity, Geomagnetic field decay, Geomagnetic reversal, Geomagnetism, God and Cosmos, Gravitational lens, Gravitational time dilation, H, Heaven, Heliocentricity, Helioseismology, Hubble Space Telescope, Hubble's Law, Hydra, Hyperion, I, Iapetus, Impact crater, Inclination, International Space Station, Io, J, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Jupiter, K, Kuiper belt, L, Lunar eclipse, M, M-type asteroids, Magnetosphere, Major asteroids, Mars, Mass, Mercury, Meteorite, Mimas, Miranda, Moon, Moon is receding at a rate too fast for an old universe, Moon recession, N, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Nebula, Nebula theory, Nemesis, Neptune, Nereid, Nix, Nuclear fusion, O, Oberon, Orbit, Orbital eccentricity, Orbital period, Oort cloud, Our Created Moon, P, Phobos, Planet, Planet-moon system, Pluto, Q, Quasar, R, Redshift, Redshift quantization, Retrograde motion, Rhea, Rotation, Rotation speed, S, S-type asteroids, Saturn, Scattered disk, Sedna, Semi-major axis, Snowball earth, Solar flare, Solar system, Solar wind, Speed of light, Star, Starlight and Time, Starlight, Time and the New Physics, Star formation, Star of Bethlehem, Stellar evolution, Stellar measurement, Sun, Supernova, Supernova remnant, Surface area, T, Temperature, Terrestrial planet, Tethys, The Astronomy Book, The Witness of the Stars, Tidal lock, Titan, Titania, Titius-Bode Law, Trans-Neptunian Objects, Transient lunar phenomena, Triton, U, Umbriel, Universe, Universe by Design, Uranus, V, Venus, Voyager 2, Vulcan, W, White hole cosmology, Y, Young earth evidence, Young solar system evidence, Young universe evidence
Contribute to astronomy-related articles that need further development.
Write descriptive articles for celestial bodies.
- Big Bang Confirmed Again, This Time By The Universe's First Atoms Thanks to new observations, both the helium and deuterium ratios are now measured, confirming the Big Bang once again. Forbes, July 11, 2017.
- Speck of Interstellar Dust Obscures Glimpse of Big Bang A new analysis has confirmed that the BICEP signal was mostly, if not all, stardust, and that there is no convincing evidence of inflation. New York Times. January. 30, 2015.
- Star Trek-like invisible shield found thousands of miles above Earth Shield blocks so-called "killer electrons," which whip around the planet at near-light speed and have been known to threaten astronauts, fry satellites and degrade space systems during intense solar storms. Phys Org, November 26, 2014.
- Cosmic Case of Missing Stars Baffles Scientists A massive population of stars is missing, and scientists are stumped as to where it could be. Live Science, November 24, 2014.
- Bad News for the Big Bang: Secular Scientists Claim Universe Shouldn’t Exist Nearly two years after the highly-publicized discovery of the elusive ‘God Particle,’ scientists have determined that the current Big Bang model cannot account for the existence of the universe. Christian News Network, June 24, 2014.
- Big Bang blunder bursts the multiverse bubble Premature hype over gravitational waves highlights gaping holes in models for the origins and evolution of the Universe Nature, June 3, 2014.
- Universe is Not Expanding After All, Scientists Say New evidence was based on detailed measurements of the size and brightness of hundreds of galaxies by a team of astrophysicists Lawrenceville Plasma Physics. Sci-News.com, May 23, 2014.
- Has Cosmic Inflation Been Discovered? Claims of a major breakthrough about the big bang are swirling in the news: is it inflation, or inflating the evidence? Creation Evolution Headlines, March 17, 2014.