The Creation Wiki is now operating on a new and improved server.
From CreationWiki, the encyclopedia of creation science
Japheth (Hebrew: יפת, Yāfeth; Greek: Ιάφεθ, Iāpheth; Latin: Iafeth; Arabic: يافث, Yāfeth; "opened") (born ca. Tammuz 1556 AMJuly 2447 BC
Av 1313 He
Tammuz 1556 AM) was the eldest of Noah's sons. He was born after Noah was 500 years old. (Genesis 5:32 ) He was married at the time of the Flood but had no children when it started. He had two brothers named Shem and Ham. Japheth and his wife were two of the eight saved in Noah's ark. However the Bible gives no record of his wife's name. He was the progenitor of many tribes inhabiting the north of Asia and the east of Europe. Japheth was known to be full of knowledge and brought great intellectual thoughts to the world. During and after the flood he had children; 7 sons are named: Gomer, Magog, Madai, Javan, Tubal, Meshech, and Tiras. They were located in what is now the Mediterranean, Russia, Asia, and the Americas.
The earth was repopulated from the families of the three sons of Noah after the flood. The descendants became the maritime nations in various lands, each with a separate language. A total of 14 Nations came out of Japheth.
In the Bible Japheth is mentioned only a few times: mainly in Genesis 5-10 . Japheth is generally thought to be the progenitor of the peoples of Europe. Thus "Japhetic" came to be used as a synonym for Europeans. However, others have proposed that Japheth was the father of the Asian or Mongoloid peoples. (For details, see Japheth by Wikipedia.)
Japheth and the Europeans are connected by Genesis 10:5 , which states that the sons of Japheth moved to the "isles of the Gentiles", commonly believed to be the Greek isles, though some believe it is a reference to islands of Asia and the Pacific Islands in addition to the original inhabitants of the Greek isles. The descendants of Japheth's seven sons spread out beginning at the mountains Taurus and Amanus; they went east into Asia and the Americas. A portion of them populated Europe for a time, before being pushed into the northern areas of Europe by the Shemite tribes who colonized the whole of Southern Europe and replaced them where in turn they migrated farther east into Asia. All the nations their descendants immediately formed were named after them. The seven nations have been attempted to be assigned and are:
- Gomer: Austro-Asiatic peoples, Austronesians, Kradai peoples, Formosans, Tibeto-Burmans, Japonic and Korean peoples, Finno-Ugrians, Samoyeds, and Turkic peoples.
- Ashkenaz: Vietnamese, Cambodians, Thais, Laotians, Taiwanese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Filipinos, Tibetans, Burmese, Japanese, and Koreans.
- Riphath: Finns, Sámi (Lapps), Estonians, Karelians, Livonians, Hungarians, Ostyaks, and Voguls.
- Togarmah: Turks, Azerbaijanis, Kazakhs, Turkmen, Uzbeks, and Kyrgyz.
- Magog: Han Chinese, Mongols, Japanese, Koreans, Taiwanese, Samoyeds, Yupiks, Inuits, Aleuts, and American Indians.
- Madai: Medes, Iranians, Caspians, Indians, and the Kachin people of Myanmar.
- Javan: Ancient Aegeans, Javanese, Polynesians, Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders.
- Tubal: Russians, Siberians, Georgians, Albanians, and Basques.
- Meshech: Russians, Muscovites, Georgians, Phrygians, and Cappadocians.
- Tiras: Yonaguni, Ancient Thracians, Minoans, and American Indians.
Japheth was known as a philosopher. At one point when his father was very drunk in Genesis 9:18-29 , Japheth and his brother treated his father with great respect and covered his nakedness. Because of this Noah blessed Japheth and said, "Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant. God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant."
- In Search of ... the Origin of Nations by C.M. White.
- The Table Of Nations
- The Sons of Noah by Rit Nosotro
- Japheth by Wikipedia
- Japheth AboutBibleProphecy.com
- Noah's Three Sons. online book by Arthur C. Custance.