Dr. John R. Baumgardner has a B.S and M.S. in Electrical Engineering from Texas Tech University 1968, and M.S. in Electrical Engineering from Princeton University 1970. He also received M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Geophysics and Space Physics from UCLA - 1983. John works as a staff scientist in the Theoretical Division at Los Alamos National Laboratory, where he has continued his research in planetary mantle dynamics, including the potential for catastrophic mantle overturn. Dr Baumgardner’s current technical work at Los Alamos includes development of a new global ocean model for investigating climate change.
John accepted Christ while in graduate school at Princeton. after which he joined the staff of Campus Crusade for Christ. Observing the deliberate use of evolution to assault and destroy the faith of Christian college students, Dr Baumgardner began to develop and present classroom lectures and evening forums to expose evolution's false claims. Upon realizing that Noah's Flood involved a planetary-scale tectonic catastrophe, he left Campus Crusade to begin a Ph.D. program in geophysics at UCLA in order to obtain the expertise and credentials to address the problem of the mechanism of the Genesis flood at a professional scientific level. His Ph.D. thesis research involved the development of a 3-D spherical-shell finite-element model for the earth's mantle, a program now known as TERRA.
He is also currently a member of the Radioisotopes and the Age of the Earth (RATE) committee and an adjunct faculty member of the Institute for Creation Research. Through his involvment in Rate Mr. Baumgardner is an impressive creation scientist and has been credited by even secular establishments as well.
For example the U.S. News and World Report which called Dr. Baumgardner ‘the world’s preeminent expert in the design of computer convection.’
John R. Baumgardner
- Catastrophic plate tectonics: the geophysical context of the Genesis Flood Journal of Creation 16(1), 57-85, 2002.
- Helium diffusion rates support accelerated nuclear decay by D. Russell Humphreys, Ph.D., Steven A. Austin, Ph.D., John R. Baumgardner, Ph.D., and Andrew A. Snelling, Ph.D. Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Creationism, R. L. Ivey (Ed.), pp. 175–195, 2003.
- Radioisotopes and the Age of the Earth - The RATE Group has jointly published a compendium of their findings. Vardiman, Snelling, Chaffin, Baumgardner, Austin, DeYoung, Humphreys. 2000 Institute for Creation Research and Creation Research Society. 676 pages ISBN: 0-932766-19-6.
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, Texas Tech University - 1968
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, Princeton University - 1970
- M.S. Geophysics and Space Physics, UCLA - 1981
- Ph.D. Geophysics and Space Physics, UCLA - 1983
- American Geophysical Union
- Mineralogical Society of America
- About John Baumgardner globalflood.org
- GlobalFlood.org Unveiling the Mechanism Behind the Genesis Flood The online home of Dr. John Baumgardner's work related to the Genesis flood.
- John Baumgardner, Ph.D. by Answers in Genesis
- The Geophysics of God: A scientist embraces plate tectonics--and Noah's flood U.S.News & World Report. June 8, 1997.