The Creation Wiki is now operating on a new and improved server.
From CreationWiki, the encyclopedia of creation science
Paleontology is the study of the forms of life existing in prehistoric times, chiefly by studying the fossils of plants, animals, and other organisms. A paleontologist is a scientist who studies aspects such as morphology, behavior, and how ancient life interacted with their environment.
Paleontology is based on uniformitarian geology, which holds that there has been no Biblical flood, but instead it is believed the layers of strata represent vast geologic ages. Based on this assumption, paleontologists examine and characterize fossils.
Within paleontology, there are branches and areas of specializations based on the particular type of organism. The study of prehistoric humans is known as Paleoanthropology, animal paleontology is Paleozoology, and the branch which studies ancient plants is called Paleobotany.
Paleontologists are often incorrectly referred to as archaeologists, because of public perception regarding similarities in techniques (i.e., both "dig in the dirt for old things"). There is somewhat of a blurring between archaeology and paleoanthropology, and even more so between paleoanthropology and some branches of paleozoology.
- Main Article: Paleoanthropology
Paleoanthropology is a specialized branch of physical anthropology involved with the study of ancient human beings. Paleoanthropologists are those investigating the origin and subsequent evolution of human physiology by examining fossil remains and other ancient evidence.
Mainstream anthropologists and archaeologists believe that humans began domesticating animals and plants in the Middle East about 10-12,000 years ago. The earliest known civilization, the Sumerians, developed in Mesopotamia about 7,000 years ago, after humans had developed agriculture sufficiently. This is the same location where many of the early Biblical stories in Genesis are set.
- Main Article: Paleozoology
- Archaeopteryx is classified as late Jurassic, and dated by evolutionary dating methods at 150 million years.
- Dinosaur is undoubtedly the most popular group of animals studied by paleontologists.
- Plesiosaur is an extinct marine reptile that is found in strata identified as the Mesozoic, Jurassic, and Cretaceous Eras.
- Pterosaur is not scientifically classified as a dinosaur but more like a flying lizard, they have unique characteristics that set them apart from reptiles, birds, and bats.
- Mammoth is an extinct form of elephant. There are three different types of mammoths whose skeletons have been found in North America.
- Main Article: Paleobotany
Paleobotany is involved with the study of ancient plants. It is an important area of creation biology, as creationism and evolutionism have radically different descriptions of ancient plant life. Creationism holds that a wide variety of plant life was created by God fully intact with the capacity to reproduce and adapt to changing environments, approximately 6,000 years ago. Evolutionism holds that all plant life (and indeed all life on the planet) is related by common descent over millions of years, and that more complex plants developed more recently than simpler plants.
- Dinosaur egg study supports evolutionary link between birds and dinosaurs Fossil eggs reveal how Troodon dinosaur likely hatched its young. University of Calgary, April 18, 2013.
- Dinosaurs did their own version of the dog paddle, U of A researcher says Researchers found paddling marks left by what he suspects was an early tyrannosaur showing that they swam for quite a while using their powerful tail to propel themselves like a crocodile. Edmonton Journal, April 9, 2013.
- Ancient Fossil looks like Today's Acorn Worms Fossils were found in some of the deepest fossil-bearing rocks to be virtually unchanged in 505 million years. ICR News, April 9, 2013.
- Ancient High Arctic camel offers climate change clues The most northerly spot to ever yield camel bones is raising important questions about the future of the warming Arctic. CTV News, Mar. 5, 2013.
- Dr. Richard Dawkins Missing Link Goes Missing says AVC Films Producer Dr. Carl Werner New analysis indicates famous evolution scientist was misled by Nature Magazine article. PRWeB, February 06, 2013.
- Radiocarbon in dino bones: International conference result censored A team of researchers gave a presentation at the 2012 Western Pacific Geophysics Meeting in Singapore, at which they gave C-14 dating results from many bone samples from eight dinosaur specimens ranging from 22,000 to 39,000 years. Creation Ministries International, January 22, 2013.
- Stampeding Dinosaurs Were Actually Swimming Findings, published in the January issue of the Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, upends the traditional interpretation of the world's only dinosaur stampede. Yahoo! - ABC News Network, January 18, 2013.
- Fossil find challenges tree of life Organisms long thought to have been the ancestors of early marine creatures may in fact have lived on land. News24, December 12, 2012.
- DNA and bone cells found in dinosaur bone But under measured rates of decomposition, they could not have lasted for the presumed 65 million years. Creation Ministries International, December 11, 2012.
- Australopithecus Was a Well-Adapted Tree Climber New research has confirmed that an extinct type of ape called Australopithecus afarensis was a well-adapted tree climber. ICR Daily Science Updates, November 12, 2012.
- Dinosaur Bone Tissue Study Refutes Critics Researchers confirm morphological, microscopic, and chemical evidence that altered remnants of original dinosaur cells have been discovered. ICR Daily Science Updates, November 5, 2012.
- Huge dinosaurs flee rising waters of Noah’s Flood in Australia Australian Broadcasting Corporation’s Catalyst program reports dinosaur footprints. Creation Ministries International, October 30, 2012.
- Eight Spears found in German Coal Mine The earliest direct evidence of tools shows every indication of human-like expertise in manufacturing. ICR Daily Science Updates, October 8, 2012.
- Pristine Wood Found in Diamond Crater A kimberlite crater in Canada, said to be 53 million years old, yielded exquisitely preserved unfossilized wood. Creation Evolution Headlines, September 19, 2012.
- More ‘dino’ sightings in Papua New Guinea Expedition reports conversations with eyewitnesses—local people who claimed to have recently seen dinosaur-like creatures. Creation Ministries International, August 23, 2012.
- Huge dinosaur fossil found near Drumheller, Alberta Curator of dinosaur palaeoecology at the Royal Tyrrell Museum, said it looked like a huge “log jam” of bones in the dirt. CBC News, Aug 17, 2012.
- New African Fossil Confirms Early Human Variations Three new human-like fossils from Africa have given evolutionists another opportunity to reiterate their confusing philosophy, but the data don't match their story very well. ICR Daily Science Updates, August 13, 2012.
- A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Neanderthal? Neanderthals were thought to be incapable of Paleolithic cave art, but new work coming from sophisticated dating techniques suggests otherwise: Neanderthals may have been artists. Archaeology, Volume 65 Number 5, September/October 2012.
- A. sediba: Another Human "Ancestor" Bites the Dust Bark Nature reports that the creatures had a very notable characteristic in common with chimps, not humans. Evolution News and Views, June 29, 2012.
- Turtles fossilized while mating! The fossil-filled shale deposits at the Messel Pit in Germany have yielded nine pair of turtles. Creation Ministries International, June 21, 2012.
- Neanderthals smarter than previously believed New dating method shows famous paintings were created at the time of the cavemen, not Homo sapiens. The Vancouver Sun, June 15, 2012.
- Neanderthal-Heidelberg Distinction Blurs “Heidelberg Man” fossils appear to overlap with Neanderthals. Creation Evolution Headlines, June 14, 2012.
- Scientists Late to Recognize Human and Giant Mammal Coexistence Vero Beach human fossils finally acknowledged in Nature to have lived side-by-side with mammoths, mastodons, and giant ground sloths, contrary to conventional Evolutionary theory. ICR Daily Science Updates, May 30, 2012.
- The Paleontology Portal (Not to be confused with the Paleontology Portal of CreationWiki)
- Paleontology at the U.S. Geological Survey